Monday, January 24, 2011

Black bean brownies

Hold on to your hats!  This recipe is a little strange.

I heard about this at my weight watcher's meeting in Randleman, NC.  A bunch of old southern ladies in a Methodist church basement trying to lose weight in the land of fried foods.  The leader said these were good so I made them and was pleasantly surprised.

You'll need:

package of regular brownie mix
Can of black beans
food processor
9 by 13 pan
cooking spray
adventurous attitude

First step: drain the beans and rinse them really well.

Put beans back in can and fill with water.  (Not a whole can of just water, but water + beans to fill the can.

Pour the beans and water into food processor or blender and give it a good whirl.

Add brownie mix.

Pour into greased 9 by 13 pan (or a smaller one if you want thicker brownies).

Bake according to package.  Mine baked at 350 for 25 minutes.

The end result: dense, chocolatey, a little flat, but worth the 5 points for a 12th of the pan (which is a pretty big square!)

Like my pretty plates from Mom & Dad Spence?

And I promise, they don't taste like beans!

2 comments:

sammie slim down said...

so the beans substitute eggs?? they look surprisingly good!!

Unknown said...

I made these last night and they are AWESOME!!! I used low fat brownie mix and they came out super fudgy. It's a keeper!