Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Cardamom Cookies

This recipe comes from the waspiest cookbook ever. Well, maybe. The Good House Keeping Illustrated Cook Book from the 80's. This book includes recipes like: duck pate in sherry aspic, tomatoes filled with deviled ham, canned salmon mousse in a fish shaped mold, bacon and eggs spaghetti, chicken tetrazzini, and barbecued canned ham with peaches, just to name a few. It also dedicates a large section to how to cook food in the microwave!

Here's the ingredient list for cardamom cookies:

3 and 3/4 cups of flour

2 cups of butter, yeah, that's a whole package, A POUND! (you can rationalize this by saying, "at least there's no oil or eggs in this recipe")

1 and 1/2 cups of confectioners' sugar

1 cup chopped walnuts

1 and 1/2 teaspoons almond extract

1 teaspoon ground cardamom (I added an extra 1/2 teaspoon because cardamom is my new favorite thing)

1/8 teaspoon salt



HOW TO:

1. Get on your Taste of Home apron.

*This picture is from when we made tamales, but it was just too cute not to post!

2. Preheat oven to 350 and get out butter.

3. After butter has softened, add to large mixing bowl.

4. Add all ingredients at the same time.


5. Take off your jewelry and roll up your sleeves like you are going to get into one of those "mean girls" high school fights. Take out your daily aggressions by kneading the dough until it is mixed well (and I do mean mixed WELL, some of the cookies I made ran flat because they had too much butter in them).

6. Roll into balls and place on baking sheet.


7. Bake for 20 minutes.

8. Cool on baking rack that G-Mom gave you for Christmas. If G-Mom didn't give you a baking rack, substitute "being jealous".

9. Sprinkle with extra powdered sugar if you please.

Enjoy! These cookies are neat-o. My description is that it is similar to a shortbread, like Pecan Sandies or something. Very very good. Cardamom adds a special and unique touch and makes these taste like a holiday. I think these should be added to the menu for next Christmas!


6 comments:

Jessie Moon said...

I know the poll isn't done yet, but I really wanted to make these AND I needed some relaxation/cooking time after work today. If another cookie wins, I'll make it too!

Royall said...

"Cardamom cookies have always been my favorite kind."
-Barack Obama, 2005

Anonymous said...

I don't think of Barack as a cardamon kind of guy...his endorsement might keep me from trying them.

sammie slim down said...

besides "holiday", what does cardamom taste like?

Jessie Moon said...

To me, it kinda smells like oranges. One website says it is "warm and eucalyptine with camphorous and lemony undertones".

sammie slim down said...

These cookies are so good!! Besides eating them, my favorite part was kneading the dough. I followed your directions and each cookie came out perfectly!! So delicious! Next time I think I might add orange extract if that is even a thing. Yum yum yum :)