Sunday, June 6, 2010

French Toast Skillet Souffle

I found this recipe here, while reading up on how to season my cast iron cookware. This comes about a week after me being worried that I had been poisoned by rust in my skillet. Why is cast iron so popular now anyway? Anyone else notice this trend?

Anyway, I learned a good way to season my cast iron stuff: rub with Crisco and let sit in a hot oven for a while. It worked pretty well. No more eating rust!

Clean and shiny cast iron is pleasing to the eye! (At least to MY eye it is).

So this recipe was originally called German Pancakes, but I renamed it because I don't know what German pancakes are supposed to taste like, but I DO know that this tasted a lot like French Toast.


Here's what you will need to make this simple (but looks EGGSTRAVAGANT) breakfast:

3 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup of bread flour
1 tablespoon sugar
7 teaspoons of butter
some cinnamon
vanilla extract (I used almond since we were out of vanilla)

topping ideas:

sprinkle with lemon juice and powdered sugar
whipped cream
maple syrup
any fresh fruit would be good

Here's a picture of the ingredients crowded into my appliance corner. I've got a toaster oven, microwave, coffee pot and mixer over there and I have to unplug something in order to use something else. Someday I will have adequate storage space or even fancy appliances that go over the stove-top or hide under cabinets! Someday!


Let's get started, folks:

1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Put your cast iron skillet in there too.

2. Let eggs and milk sit on counter until they are about room temperature.

3. Scramble the eggs in your Kitchen-aid or similar mixer until frothy.


4. Add milk, cinnamon, vanilla, sugar and flour.

5. Beat on high for 5 minutes.

6. If oven and skillet are up to temperature, melt butter in the skillet and tilt to cover the sides.

7. Pour batter into skillet and watch it rise!



8. It takes about 20 minutes to cook fully. It should look like this:



9. Remove from oven and serve immediately. It doesn't take long for this to deflate!



Mhhmmmmm. French toast pizza!


.... with whipped cream


...with maple syrup


...and my favorite: with lemon and sugar!


For calorie counters, a quarter of the pan equals:

167 calories
9 grams of fat
1/2 gram of fiber
8 grams of protein

4 comments:

Jeri said...

is this like custard in the middle?

Jessie Moon said...

It's a little chewy in the middle, but I wouldn't call it custard. More like a pancake.

Unknown said...

click resources replica ysl webpage bags replica ysl look at these guys replica bags

netoph said...

more tips here Dolabuy Fendi look at this now Dolabuy Hermes view it Dolabuy Valentino