Monday, May 31, 2010

Fresh Apple Cake with Brown Sugar Glaze

I had several apples sitting (more like rotting) in the fridge and I wanted to make Gmom's Jewish Apple Cake, but I didn't have the recipe or the right kind of pan. Instead, I decided to make this recipe.

The cake takes a few hours. About 20 minutes for prep, 1 hour and 15 minutes for baking, and a couple hours for cooling. It was a 3-day weekend. Trust me, I had the time.

Here's what you are gonna need:

3 cups of chopped apples
1 cup of walnuts
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
cinnamon
3 cups of flour
2 cups of sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups of veggie oil
vanilla extract

for topping:
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup milk

STEP ONE: Preheat oven to 350.


STEP TWO: Get pan ready. Grease with Crisco (80% disgusting, 20% hand moisturizing) and dust with flour.



STEP THREE:
Prepare the apples. I used about 2 and 1/2 apples. Peel and chop.


I assigned the job of peeling and chopping to my sous chef. I'm glad he did a great job, I wasn't sure he could see out from under all that hair.


STEP FOUR:
Combine dry ingredients. Mix together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.



STEP FIVE:
Get the wet ingredients together. Mix the eggs and then add the sugar and vegetable oil.




An exciting video, I know. For some reason, I just realized I can take video. It may be a blog changing revelation!

STEP SIX: Add dry ingredients slowly. It should seem more like a cookie dough than a cake batter when you are done.


STEP SEVEN:
Stir in walnuts, apples and vanilla extract.


STEP EIGHT:
Pour into pan.


STEP NINE: Bake at 350 for an 1 hr. 15 minutes.

STEP TEN: When only a few minutes of baking time are left, start preparing the glaze. Combine 1/2 cup butter, 1 cup of brown sugar and 1/4 cup of milk. Bring to a boil for 3 minutes to form a syrup.



STEP ELEVEN: Remove cake from oven and immediately pour syrup on top.


You might want to do this on top of foil as to avoid this problem:


It takes a little while for the syrup/glaze to soak into the cake. Let it cool before removing from pan. I put a plate on top and flipped the cake over. Then flipped it again. Technically, this cake is served upside down.


Slice and serve it up with a little (or a lot of) whipped cream!




This is really good stuff. I love the parts where the syrup has sunken into the crispy outer layer making a super sweet crunch.

3 comments:

Jeri said...

This looks great...where do I get my own sous chef?

Jessie Moon said...

Hmmm, I don't know. Can Snyder be trusted around knives?

sammie slim down said...

love the video!!!