Friday, May 7, 2010

Campanelle with Asparagus and Bacon in a Cream Sauce

This recipe is a spin-off of something I saw in a Taste of Home "Healthy Cooking" magazine recently. I've gotta admit, I was lured in by a close-up photo of a great combination: pasta, asparagus, and bacon! It's super-yummy, simple, and uses fresh ingredients that are easy to find. Plus, it satisfies even the heftiest carbohydrate craving. Even better, the calorie count on this goodness isn't too ridiculous (considering it is a creamy pasta dish)!

Here's what you will need:

- a box of pasta (I used campanelle. Rigatoni or ziti would also work well.)
- asparagus (coarsely chopped, one or two cups will do)
- bacon (About 8 tablespoons. I used bacon-bits. It is WAY too dangerous to keep a pound of bacon in the fridge.)
- half and half (I used "fat-free"... it's an oxymoron.)
- mozzarella cheese (1/2 cup shredded)
- butter or margarine
- garlic
- parmesan cheese
- salt n peppa


STEP ONE: Cook that pasta. Just follow the package directions for cooking time. Drain and set aside.


STEP TWO: Cook that asparagus. Cover with water and boil for 2 minutes. Drain and set aside in a place where it can cool off.


STEP THREE: Make the sauce. In a pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle in some minced garlic. Cook for a few minutes.


STEP FOUR: Still making sauce... Add 2/3 cup of half and half. Bring to a boil for 3-4 minutes until sauce thickens. I had to add a little cornstarch to give it a jump start. Add 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella and stir until melted.


STEP FIVE: Assembly. Add the cream sauce to the pasta. Throw in the bacon bits and asparagus.


STEP SIX: Stir it! Season with salt and pepper.


STEP SEVEN: Put in pretty serving bowl.


STEP EIGHT: Get cheesy. Grate some fresh Parmesan on top! Just look at the angelic glow it gives to this dish!


STEP NINE: EAT IT!!!


My review: I really liked making this! I got to yell at Royall, "STOP EATIN THE BITS!", as he picked at the bacon bits I had set aside. I really like the flavors of Parmesan, asparagrus and bacon together. It's a great combination!"

Royall's review: "I think it's pretty good. It's good with lots of salt on it. Fresh grated Parmesan is a nice touch".

NUTRITION FACTS (more like "Estimated Nutrition Facts"):

If you divide into 6 servings (I think you could easily get more than that), the nutrition facts are:

373 calories, 6 grams of fat, 3.5 grams of fiber, 12 grams of protein

PS: Tastes pretty good cold, too!

6 comments:

Jeri said...

This looks wonderful
Glad you added the calorie info since I am counting points....I think it might be doable for a weight watcher.

Might be a nice dish for the dinner party I am having soon.

How are those bacon bit??? Real bacon?? not those hard things?

Jessie Moon said...

Yeah, Oscar Mayer bacon pieces. I guess it is a step up from those hard crunchy pebble things (Baco's?).

Royall said...

Personally, I woulda put 8 strips of actual bacon in the oven and chopped it into slightly larger pieces

sammie slim down said...

I like that you called it "asparagRus". Did you do that on purpose? Looks yummy!

Jessie Moon said...

Ah! I was waiting for someone to notice!

Anonymous said...

made this last night for dinner
I would definitely double the sauce in the future.
I added small grape tomatoes to give it a more interesting color
Tasted great
Thanks.