Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Not quite homemade, crock-less french onion soup

Don't know where my hankerin for french onion soup came from. It's about 100 degrees here and soup doesn't usually sound good. It must be a salt craving.

French onion soup= carbs + salt + fat. A delicious combination.

After I bought the ingredients for the french onion soup, Royall told me our crocks were broken. Don't know how our french onion soup crocks were broken, seeing as we NEVER used them.... interesting.

Anyway, I decided to make it in the cast iron skillet.

First, I made the soup. Empty can, add water. Pretty easy. Making your own soup base for this isn't hard, but I was feeling lazy today.


Next I added the bread. French bread that I left out for the day and then toasted briefly in the toaster oven.


Put slices of provolone on top. Classic french onion soup uses gueyere, but that was too pricey for our new budget.


I then put the whole deal into the oven with the broiler on high. It only took a few minutes for the cheese to bubble and brown.






That's it! Pretty good stuff. Plus, it only took about 10 minutes to make!

1 comment:

sammie slim down said...

that looks easy and yummy....just maybe on a day not quite as sweltering hot as today