Thursday, March 11, 2010

Cake-inna-Mug

Adventures of Cake-inna-Mug

What's better than chocolate cake? Why, chocolate cake that you make in a mug in the microwave in 3 MINUTES, of course!

Royall's grandmother introduced us to cake in a mug and gave us a recipe which I lost somewhere. Her recipe used chocolate chips instead of cocoa powder and was so rich that we couldn't eat a whole mug in one sitting! This is the recipe I used, which is similar.

Disclaimer: This isn't going to taste like a cake that you labor over and cook the old fashioned way. But it's darn good for something made in a microwave and it satisfies a chocolate craving after a long day. I never had an easy bake oven, but I hypothesize that it might yield something like this. It's rich and dense. Hope you have some milk handy!

You're going to need 5 minutes, your favorite mug and:

4 tablespoons flour (cake flour is best)
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
4 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
1 egg

Mix all the ingredients in your favorite mug. Mix it again and again. You don't want scrambled eggs cooked in your mug or flour stuck on the bottom. Speaking of eggs, check this out: double yolks ?! Does that mean fraternal twin chickies? FYI: I researched this and it turns out that double yolk eggs usually never hatch because the two baby chicks fight each other to the death before they even hatch. Not appetizing, I know, sorry. Let's move on...


After everything is mixed well, put in the microwave on high for 3 minutes. DON'T FREAK OUT: the cake will rise up and look like it is about to overflow. Just let it finish in the microwave... it's kinda cool to watch! It will go down after it cools a little bit.


Add some cool whip if you'd like and eat up!




8 comments:

Royall said...

I like these when I'm feeling lazy but want cake anyway

ARob said...

I am so trying this tonight.

Unknown said...

Me too, A Rob!

sammie slim down said...

cake looks simple and yummy but egg yolks fighting to the death?!?!

Anonymous said...

I am waiting or more people to vote for ambrosia

Jessie Moon said...

I'm looking into some good ambrosia recipes that don't use coconut (yuck). Maybe I will do one tomorrow.

Unknown said...

So I made the cake inna mug and I think next time I would add some chocolate chips or a kiss or something to give it a little more chocolate.

ARob said...

I agree Marianna. I almost added some chips but didn't at the end. Wish I had.