Saturday, March 6, 2010

The WASPs have spoken, and They Want Broccoli Rice Casserole!

Last week's poll results are in and broccoli rice casserole won!

I'm excited that I got to make broccoli rice casserole this weekend for two reasons:

1. Every time I've made this, it has come out wrong. Once, I accidentally doubled the margarine and there was grease pooled on top! Second time I made it, I dumped frozen broccoli right in without cooking it first and it was really soupy from too much water. I really wanted to get it right this time!

2. This is the stuff family legends are made of. I was speaking to my Mom about the poll before it was over and she told me, "Let me know if broccoli rice casserole wins, I'll tell you the story behind it. It's 25 years old." I never knew there was such a heritage behind this cheesy concoction! It's older than me, apparently.

Here's what Mom had to say:

"Every summer a parent at the nursery school, Mrs. Kasper, treated the staff to lunch. One year she made this delicious casserole. She had seen it on a box of rice and it was her first time making it. That was about 25 years ago...the recipe has been a family and pot luck dinner staple, it has undergone many changes and variations, but it is still a crowd pleaser. Fondly, the family named it after her."

I don't ever remember our family naming it after her, but let's give credit where credit is due! From here on out, broccoli rice casserole shall be called Mrs. Kasper's Broccoli Rice Casserole, or perhaps Kasper Kasserole!

Kasper Kasserole takes about an hour to make.

You will need:

1 cup of uncooked rice (the instant quick cooking kind like Success or Minute Rice, I used brown rice so I can pretend that I am being healthy)

package of frozen broccoli (I used fresh because I just happened to have some in the fridge)

can of cream-of-your-choice soup (I used cream of chicken with herbs)

1/2 cup Cheez Whiz

small onion

1/2 stick margarine (1/4 cup)

1/4 cup milk

1/8 cup water

PS: I remember my Mom making this with diced ham in it when I was a kid, so you could add that too if you need to use up some leftovers.


The instructions are SO simple and easy, I really don't know how I've messed this up so many times:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 and grease a square 8x8 pan.

2. If using frozen broccoli, cook according to package directions. Make sure you drain well or pat dry so it doesn't make the casserole too liquid-y. For fresh broccoli, just rinse it well and cut into small florets.

3. Saute onion until tender.

4. Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and add to greased pan.

5. Bake for 45 minutes until the casserole bubbles and browns a little on top.

This stuff is sooooo good! Mine tasted different than what Mom used to make though. I doubt she really followed that recipe every time (good cooks don't need recipes). I don't remember her putting onions in it either, because I surely would have had a fit (I hated onions to an extreme until a few years ago). This recipe could be easily adapted, too. I bet it would be good with other types of veggies in it, chicken, or even with a little cayenne added for some heat.


YUM! Royall says, "Que rico!".

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I haven't had this in forever! It looks so good...I'm craving it now! Also, I thought Mom's story was going to be more salacious!

Jessie Moon said...

Yeah. She admitted that she used dried minced onion though!

sammie slim down said...

looks way better than mine....cheesier and deliciousy-er!!