Sunday, March 28, 2010

Swedish Hasselback Potatoes

Using Stumble Upon, I found this beauty: the hasselback potato, or as I like to call it ...

The Hasselhoff Potato

I bet David Hasselhoff would enjoy these! I don't know who wouldn't love these potatoes! Those puppies would do tricks for these carby wonders.

Crunchy on top, yummy breadcrumbs and fluffy potato goodness on the inside.

You will only need a few ingredients (potatoes, oil, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper) and about 40 minutes or so. I know that right now you are thinking, "Hey, I've got those things! I want to eat something that sounds like Hasselhoff!". That's a sign that YOU SHOULD MAKE THESE!

1. Preheat oven to 425. If you have a big one, toaster ovens can be good for making these.

2. Prep potatoes. Thinly slice the potatoes leaving only a few centimeters at the bottom. DON'T CUT ALL THE WAY THROUGH! Be careful, because it's hard to get close to the bottom without cutting all the way. Use something to block your knife from going through. Some people use chopsticks positioned on either end of the potato. The closest thing I had to the right thickness were Nutrisystem chocolate bars (which I am obviously not using).


3. Add oil. I used canola spray oil (kinda like Pam). You could also use olive oil. Try to get it down inside the slits without breaking any off.

4. Add breadcrumbs. The technique I use is to pour the breadcrumbs on top and them massage them down inside the potato. Now they are ready for the oven!


*unless you want to add other ingredients. Some people add thin slices of garlic wedged in between (I am not one of those people). You could also add Parmesan cheese or seasoned salt.

5. Bake for 40 minutes.


YUM!


Since I am low-class, I like to eat these by pulling off pieces with my hand. What are those glowing eyes near my plate?! I think it may be a puppy willing to do tricks for my Hasselhoff potato.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what makes them Hasselback....isn't it hasselhoff and why???

Jessie Moon said...

Hasselback apparently comes from the name of the restaurant that first made these in Sweden. Hasselhoff just because I said so.

Unknown said...

I made this last night in the microwave! Tasty!