Saturday, March 20, 2010

Secret Ingredient Cake Revealed!

Thanks for voting in last weeks ingredient poll! I appreciate the one person who had the guts to vote for prunes to try and make this more challenging.

The results are in. The winning secret ingredient is........



WHISKEY!

This is just like iron chef, but I'm only making one dish and I have all of my Saturday to do so and I'm not competing against anyone and it's not on TV and no one is yelling "cuisson".

Let's get started:

Here's of picture of what you are going to need. It took way too much effort to arrange this than it is worth. So you better enjoy it.


Ingredient list:

package of yellow cake mix
package of vanilla pudding mix
bag of butterscotch chips
1 cup walnuts
4 eggs (yikes!)
1/3 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup whiskey
little bit of powdered sugar

Step one: preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Make pessimistic comment about how you won't be able to make recipes like this in the future because it will heat up the apartment during those air conditioned months. Realize you are turning into your father.

Step two: grease bundt pan

Step three: pull out the handy Kitchen Aid mixer. Mix the pudding mix and cake mixes together.

Step four: Add eggs, milk, whiskey, oil and water. Mix for a few minutes.

Step five: Add walnuts and butterscotch chips and mix briefly.


Don't eat too much batter. There's raw egg AND alcohol in there.

Step six: pour into bundt pan


Step seven: Bake for about 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

This is how it looks right after it comes out of the oven:


Step eight: Let cool, then remove from pan.

Step nine: Poke holes in the top with a toothpick. This is where the icing will seep in!

Step ten: Make icing by melting about 1/2 cup butterscotch chips, 1/4 cup walnuts and 1 tablespoon of water in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Add 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon of whiskey and stir until smooth.

Step eleven: drizzle icing over cake. It helps if you put foil underneath for easy clean up.

That's it! Enjoy with a nice glass of milk.


3 comments:

Jessie Moon said...

This was really good stuff! The cake was not at all dry and was really smooth. I'm not really a fan of whiskey, but I liked the flavor it gave to this recipe.

ARob said...

My friend Sandy makes an awesome Whiskey cake. I'll have to get the the recipe.

And you are welcome for the prune vote! I wanted to challenge your cooking abilities and figured if anyone could do it you could. :)

If I had some whiskey I would try this. I looks good.

Jessie Moon said...

I remember that cake from Christmastime. It smelled pretty alcoholic!