Saturday, March 27, 2010

Cranberry Baked Oatmeal


This could almost be called a breakfast cookie and that would be like getting away with having sweets for breakfast. When else can you have cookies for breakfast besides CoOOkie Crisp?(do they even make that anymore?)

Anyway, this baked oatmeal is hearty, sweet, soft and chewy on the inside, and a little crispy on top! The dried cranberries are like sweet little gems that give the dish a little sass.

In order to make this, you'll need about 50 minutes total (including prep).

Ingredients are pretty simple and explain why this is ALMOST a cookie:

Dry ingredients:
3 cups of oatmeal
1 cup brown sugar (could likely be reduced)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cardamom (I love cardamom! I could sit and smell a jar of it all day)
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt

Wet ingredients:
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1/2 cup melted butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Other ingredients:
1/2 cup dried cranberries
*any dried fruits would work well in this, I also think walnuts or almonds would be a great addition

STEP 1: Preheat to 350.

STEP 2: Measure dry ingredients and mix well. Try to avoid big lumps of brown sugar if you can.


Step 3: Measure wet ingredients in a different bowl. Stir with a whisk until well blended.

Step 4: Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and briefly mix. Gently stir in cranberries. If you are like Royall, you could start singing "oh my lifeee, changin everyday, in every POSSIBLE way"...

Step 5: Pour into greased 9 by 13 pan and spread so the mixture is even.


Step 6: Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. SMELLS AWESOME! Like a big oatmeal cookie.

Step 7: Remove from oven when oatmeal has browned on top.


Step 8: EAT! I think this would be best warm, but I suppose you could eat it cold. It easily serves 8+ people. This would be great to make on Sunday night to have throughout the rest of the work week for breakfast. Although I didn't try it, I bet it would be great in a bowl with cold milk poured on top.



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this like the baked oatmeal I would find at an Amish market

Jessie Moon said...

I think it is similar to Amish-market baked oatmeal.

sammie slim down said...

I don't usually like oatmeal but this looks yummy!! Also, now I have that cranberries song in my head

Unknown said...

I just made this and it came out amazing! Yum! I think I'll be eating all week!

Jessie Moon said...

Glad you like it! We still have leftovers here. It makes a lot!

Jessie Moon said...

Super yum! I just made some and added a chopped apple.

sammie slim down said...

I'm getting ready to put this in the oven now. the two of us will definitely have this gone in just a couple days. of course i messed up and put it in the wrong size pan but i'll let you know how it turns out!

sammie slim down said...

Turned out awesome! I put some vanilla bean ice cream over it for dessert...yum. And I LOVED how good it smelled while I was baking!!