Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Classic Corned Beef & Cabbage


HAPPY SAINT PATRICK'S DAY!

You can only get away with drinking lots of beer and cooking something like corned beef and cabbage about once a year, so here's your chance!

I must be a freak of nature, or have some Irish blood, because I LOVE cabbage. I was even eating it raw while the corned beef was cooking!

This recipe isn't really from scratch. I have no idea how one would go about making corned beef from scratch. It might be one of those things that is better off being a mystery. I bought packaged corned beef from Albertson's that came with a seasoning packet included. Once it had cooked for a while, I couldn't help but liken the pink meat to spam, but it tasted much better than any spam I've ever had.

It's simple, too. All you have to do is throw the corned beef, some water, and the seasoning packet into the dutch oven and simmer for an hour per pound (for me, that was about 2 hours).

After the meat had cooked, I added some quartered potatoes, carrots, and cabbage and simmered for an additional 15 minutes.

The icing on the cake: having a GUINNESS to go along with this simple and hearty Irish meal!


PS: DON'T FORGET TO WEAR GREEN!

3 comments:

ARob said...

Already on the menu for tonight. It's been a tradition to make this on St Pat's day for the past several years now. Its almost a fix it and forget it meal.

Jessie Moon said...

Yum! How do you make it? Do you buy the corned beef in a package from the store and then boil it?

ARob said...

Yes in the vac-pack with the seasoning pack included. It came out great. CB was fork tender. Had enough left over for a nice CB sandwich for lunch. I don't know why we only make it once a year.