Saturday, March 13, 2010

Vivian's Crock Pot Macaroni & Cheese


This is the MAC DADDY of MAC n CHEESE!

Macaroni and cheese kicked butt in the latest poll and won by a landslide! And it's about time, I have been waiting to make this great recipe!

This recipe is an adaptation of a great recipe from Royall's grandmother, Vivian. It's pretty simple and you can leave it cooking in the crock pot while you are at work... or sitting on the couch all day watching PBS. Either way, you can set it and forget it!

Vivian's Crock Pot Macaroni & Cheese takes anywhere from 4 1/2 to 6 1/2 hours to make, but again, it's not like you are slaving over the stove for those hours. It's more like 15 minutes of prep and a few hours of forgetting about it while it is in the slow cooker. Or if you are like me, you won't forget about it because you are too excited and will go check on it every 5 minutes!

You're gonna need:

1/2 box elbow macaroni, cooked and drained, I used organic whole wheat macaroni because I like to pretend to be a food snob sometimes. In hindsight, I think regular pasta would have tasted better.

4 cups of shredded cheese, If you buy bags of already shredded cheese you'll need 2 bags. I shredded my own and used 1/2 monterrey jack (the kind with jalapenos) and 1/2 cheddar cheese. The original recipe calls for all cheddar.

12 oz. evaporated milk, I used 2 %, and only because Royall wouldn't let me buy the fat free one. I just couldn't justify using full fat milk. Trust me, there's enough fat in the cheese.

1 1/2 cups milk

2 eggs

1 tablespoon salt
(I know it seems like a lot of salt, but any attempt to make this healthy will be in vain. This recipe bakes carbohydrates and fat into a large cake, there's no turning back now.) PS: Royall actually added salt to his!

HOW TO MAKE AWESOME CROCK POT MAC N CHEESE:

1. Cook macaroni and drain.


2. Grease your crock pot. I used a large oval crock pot, but I think this recipe is supposed to be done in the smaller kind that is round shaped.

3. Shred the cheese and measure it. If you took the easy way out, open the bag of pre-measured cheese.


4. In a big old bowl add everything; the macaroni, shredded cheese (save some to sprinkle on top), milk, evaporated milk, eggs and salt.

4. Add to crock pot and cook on low for about 6 hours. This time is according to the original recipe. I think since I used a larger crock pot, it cooked faster. It was done in about 4 1/2 hours.

Here's the progression of goodness:

Stage one: just mixed, "not-so-good"


Stage two: an hour into cooking time, "gettin good"


Stage 3: done, Geee-Double-Oh-Dee: Good!


By the way, like most things made in the crock pot, you aren't supposed to take the lid off to look at it because you lose a lot of steam pressure and heat. I wanted to take pictures so I peeked a few times, but don't try this at home folks!



Yummy! Since I used two kinds of cheese, some bites had a little kick to 'em because of the spicy monterrey jack with jalapenos. I probably wouldn't go for the whole wheat pasta next time, but it was still quite tasty. ENJOY!

1 comment:

sammie slim down said...

I'm gonna make this today!!