Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Purple Pickled Eggs

I don't know if pickled eggs count as WASP-y food, but I just had to blog about these bad boys:


I don't know what on earth possessed me to make pickled eggs, but I got to thinking about them a few days ago and figured I'd give it a whirl. My reasoning being: I like pickles, I like hard boiled eggs, maybe I'd like pickled hard boiled eggs. Also, I wanted to make my own so I knew exactly what I was getting myself into.

To make purple pickled eggs you'll need a couple days and:

4-6 hard boiled eggs
1/2 cup vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon pickling spice
1 cup water
a few beet slices

1. Hard boil eggs and cool them in the fridge. Peel.

2. In a saucepan, bring water, vinegar, sugar, pickling spice, and beets to a boil. Check out the taste. I added a little extra sugar to mine. Cool in the fridge.

3. Important: Don't place eggs in pickling solution until both the eggs and the pickling solution have been chilled. Otherwise, the eggs may get a rubbery texture.

4. Let eggs sit in picking solution for 2 days.

5. Be brave and try one! Aren't they strangely pretty?


I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with how these came out! It tasted like a hard boiled egg married a pickled beet and had a beet-egg baby. However, I could see how these might be a hard-to-acquire taste for the less adventurous.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pickle eggs were once a favorite in the seedy bars of New Jersey along with pickled sausage. I am guessing Wasp do drink - they just don't like to admit to it. So this recipe would fall within the parameters of WASP food.

Anonymous said...

Great recipe, and beautiful pictures.

sammie slim down said...

Very interesting and adventurous but....why? Why would you "pickle" something?

Jessie Moon said...

I think it might have been a PMS salt craving combined with pure boredom.

Jessie Moon said...

MY FRIDGE STILL SMELLS LIKE THESE!!!

Jessie Moon said...

Cleaned the fridge with bleach and it STILL SMELLS LIKE PICKLED EGGS!!!