Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Veggie Beef Soup


Veggie Beef Soup:

Work some left-over magic by using pot-roast beef and simple ingredients to make this tasty soup.

My husband and I were getting tired of eating sunday's pot roast everyday! So, I figured I needed to do something new with the left overs I had sitting in the fridge... or else it would end up in the trash or in the fridge making a fuzzy smelly microbiology experiment while we forgot it was ever in there.


This soup took about 30 minutes to make.


You'll need:

shredded left over pot roast or something similar (including juices)

stock (I used 2 cartons of chicken stock and 1/2 a carton of leftover beef stock from the pot roast recipe)

can of diced tomatoes

bag of frozen vegetables (the old school kind with corn, peas, green beans, carrots and limas)

potato, cubed

1/2 pound bag of pasta (technically, "pastini", the little baby kind you get in diner soups, like orzo)


There's only 4 steps, and one of 'em is EATING:

1. Throw everything into a big soup pot.

2. Here's the slightly interesting part. I took about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of the junk in the bottom of my cast iron dutch oven and put it in a food processor for a minute. This included juices, big chunks of herbs, mushrooms and carrots that were in the pot roast. Add to the big soup pot for a flavor boost.

3. Simmer everything together for 20-30 minutes.

4. EAT!


PS: Oh, the irony!!! I was trying to get rid of leftovers. This recipe made so much, I ran out of storage containers and had to use plastic baggies. FYI: Putting soup into plastic baggies is NOT an easy task.


Also, please take note of how clean my fridge is. Thank you.

5 comments:

Royall said...

I wasn't tired of it at all. In fact, you never asked my opinion on the matter.

Some journalistic integrity!

Jessie Moon said...

Fine, I speak for myself. I WAS TIRED OF IT. Plus, I am the domestic goddess, therefore I make the leftover rules.

Unknown said...

This looks really yummy! You should do a vegetarian recipe sometime so I can make din din for Andy.

Jessie Moon said...

I know! I realized I didn't have a lot of vegetarian recipes on here. I plan on doing mac and cheese and a pasta salad, which will be vegetarian.

Unknown said...

Awesome! Thanks! I look forward to them!